In the Parish of Resolis (Poyntzfield), Ross. Owned by a Gordon in the 16th Century.
No additional Information available at this time.
In 1440 the Calders acquired Aswanley House from the Gordons, a long low L-plan
building of two stories and a garret with a round stair-tower projecting from the main
block and enclosed by a courtyard. It is located about seven miles west of Huntly,
near the River Deveron 1.5 miles east of Haus of Glass, Mains of Aswanley
Five miles north of Huntley near the
Banffsire border, Avochie is located at
Rothiemay and has the River Isla joining
the Deveron at its Junction pool. The
Castle Ruins located in the grounds of
present day Avochie Manor. The manor
is a stone-built Baronial mansion with
terraced garden. There are also stables
and outbuildings and a large old railway
bridge. Approx 1 hr NW of Aberdeen.
The Avochie Stone
On the South East side of a hill
overlooking the ruins of Avochie
Castle, Rothiemay, lies a huge
whinstone boulder. The boulder is
marked with numerous cup marks
some rings. The Avochie Stone
at one time may have been part of
a nearby stone circle.
|Present day Avochie Manor