Aboyne Castle is located in
the "Royal Deeside" region of
Aberdeenshire. The beautiful
forested highlands region traversed
by the River Dee has long been a
favorite of vacationers - including
the Royal Family, who lodge nearby
at Balmoral Castle.
The lands were acquired in the 15th
century by the Marquess of Huntly
from the Knights Templar. This was
once a mighty stronghold - it is a tall
compact building of 17th century
origin . Aboyne fell to the
covenanters and was occupied by
Argyle and his troops in 1640.
Built during the 17th century,
Aboyne Castle today is approxi-
mately one-fifth its original size.
It is considered an excellent example
of the Scottish Tower House castle
design. The design originated in the Scottish Highlands as the need for a
fully-fortified castle was diminishing, yet adequate protection was still needed from
occasional bands of roving outlaws. It has long been rumored that the castle has a
secret passageway leading to a hidden "Monk's Room" within it's walls.
The Aboyne Castle grounds also contain Coo Cathedral - an elegant 300-person
banquet and entertainment hall re-styled from a former cattle byre.
During the 1970's Granville Charles Gordon, Marquis of Huntly and Chief of the
House of Gordon, undertook the extensive interior and exterior restoration of today's
remaining portion of Aboyne Castle, which has since become his private family
Aboyne Castle is not open to the public.